Social Media Marketing Strategies and Emerging Opportunities in BRIC Countries
Across the four key emerging BRIC countries (Brazil, India, Russia and China), social media penetration has reached a reasonable level for encouraging strong marketing initiatives. Given the global reach and interactive capabilities of social media, companies across key industries have started developing a social media marketing strategy with increased marketing budget allocations. The key influencers include direct access to a large user base of potential consumers, and insights into key changing trends and the thought processes behind buying decisions. The focus varies across industries, but social media marketing broad focus is on developing products targeted at specific consumer groups, launching new product offerings and monitoring brand image sentiments.
Although the growth of social media marketing in BRIC countries is promising, there are obvious challenges in reaching diverse customer groups from this marketing channel in BRIC countries due to the countries’ fragmented industries, low literacy rates and relatively underdevelopment mobile infrastructure. BRICdata expects the adoption of social media marketing in BRIC countries to be gradual, and to increase alongside the growing popularity of social media networks.
Key highlights of this title
- Social media marketing in BRIC countries is still in its early stage of development, and while companies are keen to redesign strategies to benefit from this platform, tools and knowledge on measuring returns on investment remain unclear. However, BRICdata expects this will change significantly during the forecast period, following wider social media marketing participation from companies.
- Social media in Brazil is increasingly used by companies as a strategic marketing tool. The main use of social network by companies in Brazil is for advertising their products and services, followed by brand monitoring and identifying sales opportunity. Companies are now evaluating their marketing budgets and BRICdata expects there will be an increased budget allocation for social media marketing during the forecast period (2012–2016).
- Spamming on social networks and linguistic barriers for non-Russian brands are the key challenges in a digital marketing campaign. It is vital for marketers to understand the internet penetration and income groups of their end users, as economy and consumer behavior in different regions differ. Social gaming is expected to register impressive growth over the forecast period, to become one of the most attractive areas for social media marketing activities.
- The rapid growth in social media marketing is helping companies win business in India. According to estimates in 2010, over 50% of the companies were successful in broadening their customer base through digital media campaigns. BRICdata expects the amount of spending on social media marketing will increase as a percentage of overall sales and marketing expenditure during the forecast period.
- The popularity of mobile internet increases the value proposition for marketing initiatives, which can impact China’s rural market and low-income groups. With the country’s increasing mobile penetration, more marketing budgets will be allocated for social media as mobile phone ads become more interactive and engaging. The launch of 3G and upcoming 4G services will further fuel the growth of social media marketing in the country.
This report provides an extensive analysis of the social media marketing strategies for four BRIC nations – Brazil, Russia, India and China:
- The report provides a detailed understanding of how social media platform is being used to identify new markets, launch products, gather customer feedback and monitor brand performance across five key consumer focused industries: healthcare, BFSI, travel and tourism, FMCG and entertainment.
- The report provides insights into the evolving social media market size for each country over a 10 year period, 2007–2016, along with market trends, growth drivers, opportunities and challenges.
- It also provides insights into future social media marketing strategies adopted by players in each industry to strengthen market position.
Reasons to Purchase
- Gain in-depth insight into the social media marketing strategies in each of the BRIC countries
- Understand the various market dynamics within the BRIC countries’ by key industries, and use the knowledge to capitalize on the potential of these high-growth markets
- Take informed decisions and formulate effective technical and marketing strategies based on the report’s detailed market insights on social media marketing strategies
- Identify the key specific growth segments within the social media marketing sector in each of the BRIC countries
- Understand the growth strategies adopted by key companies and social networking sites
More information available at: